>

Tuesday 6 May 2014

The Met Gala. The Met Ball. The Met Gala Ball?


Whatever its official name is, it occurred last night, and is pretty much the Oscar's of the fashion world. Each year, there is a specific theme, last year's was "Punk: Chaos to Couture" and this year's was "Charles James: Beyond Fashion". Now, a wee little google search of this iconic man would give you a pretty clear understanding of what the theme was. Too bad a few of the guests couldn't manage to hit the good ol' search engine.

Based on Charles James' designs, I was expecting an onslaught of models/actresses/musicians/famous ladies dressed in beautiful, dramatic, and well cut ball gowns. But sadly, only a few were able to deliver this wild fashion fantasy, while the rest left much to be desired.

The three ladies above, Karolina Kurkova (Marchesa), Tabitha Simmons (Dolce and Gabbana Alta Moda), and Liu Wen (Zac Posen) were my shining stars of the night. The dramatic cut of the Marchesa, the intricate flowers on the Dolce and the shape of the Zac Posen all pay homage to the legacy of Charles James.

Next to my shining stars were these stunning ladies. Emmy Rossum (Carolina Herrera), Giovanna Battaglia (Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda), Arizona Muse (Ralph & Russo), Amy Adams (Oscar de la Renta). I mean, how freaken beautiful? I loved how these ladies had their hair pulled back so their gorgeous necklines wouldn't be overshadowed by their hair. Then came Karlie Kloss (Oscar de la Renta), Coco Brandolini d'Adda (Dolce & Gabanna Alta Moda), Taylor Swift (Oscar de la Renta), and Monica Belucci (Dolce & Gabbana). I'm having a moment with gowns donning extravagant prints and Coco Brandolini d'Adda struck a heartstring with this lovely piece. Also, can we have a moment and confirm that capes on the red carpet are always a YES. YES. YES. They just never look bad. Just ask Gwenyth Paltrow and Kate Hudson. So bravo Monica Belucci. Bravo.And last but not least, Sarah Silverman (Zac Posen), Lily Aldridge (Michael Kors), Hailee Steinfeld (Prabal Garung), and Dita Von Teese (Zac Posen). Who knew Sarah Silverman cleaned up so well? One thing I do wish didn't happen was Hailee Steinfeld's shoe choice. Because of the volume and hem of the dress, I found the shoes too heavy and clunky for this particular look. I would've loved to see her in something more dainty to balance things out. 


By the way did you notice that I clearly have a thing for Zac Posen and Dolce & Gabanna? It just turned out that way. I just wish I could continue this love affair in real life... I guess staring at these pictures will do for now. *Sigh* 

What do you guys think? Who was your favourite?

*Photo sources: All photos are from Style.com except photo of Hailee Steinfeld and Dita Von Teese, which are from Vogue.com

P.S Hopefully the Beygency won't come after me because I didn't have Beyonce as part of my best dressed haha

No comments :

Post a Comment